Library Generalist 3 / Circulation
Branch Locations: Edisto (EDI)
Reports To: Department Manager
The Library Generalist, under the general direction of the Branch/Department Manager, assists patrons with locating and checking out materials, shelving library materials and other clerical duties. As a Library Generalist, you must demonstrate outstanding interpersonal skills, as a great part of this job will involve interacting with the local community.
All duties listed below are essential job functions for which reasonable accommodations will be made. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or abilities deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related tasks as requested by the Branch/Department Manager subject to reasonable accommodations.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist patrons with locating resources and checking out materials.
- Update patron records, place holds on materials and issue librrary cards.
- Assist patrons with use of print reference resources, identifying and locating library materials using the library system catalog, searching the Internet and using online databases.
- Serve as point person of circulation department in the absence of the Circulation Services Manager and Circulation Services supervisor.
- Aid in training and on-boarding of new staff.
- Maintain detailed financial records.
- Must be comfortable proactively seeking out customers to help in all areas of the library (desk, roving, e-mail, phone, or additional methods of communication).
- Perform routine desk duties under professional supervision, help patrons locate and check out materials.
- Responsible assisting the public in the use of technology, including software, online tools, and mobile devices.
- Candidates should be good listeners and communicators, present positive attitude, enjoy working cooperatively as a team member, and place top priority on customer service.
- Must be flexible to assume additional responsibilities and scheduling requirements as needed to meet the coverage needs of the public service desks in other departments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of library amenities and the ability to provide information about library policies.
- Ability to use tact, courtesy and good judgement when communicating with coworkers, and the public.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge, appreciation, and understanding of library materials, both print and electronic.
- Ability to communicate effectively and present ideas orally and in writing.
- Ability to carry out assignments independently and work collaboratively with a team.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- High School graduate or GED equivalent.
- 2 years library experience preferred; OR
- Associates degree or higher.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office suite, with the ability to learn and use new methods and emerging technical advances.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills, ability to get along well with others and to communicate effectively with the public and with library staff, a strong work ethic.
Benefits and Compensation:
Charleston County Public Library offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, Paid Vacation and Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, 401k, and a Pension Plan.
$31,865.60 - $35,900.80 annually commensurate with education and experience.