- Summer Reading 2020
- Connect to CCPL
- Use Your Library
- Virtual Events
- How Do I?
- About CCPL
Library Generalist / Mobile Library / Outreach
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
The ideal candidate is an energetic and enthusiastic individual that takes initiative, is forward thinking, manages change well, and has excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
The person in the position is responsible for ensuring the delivery of thoughtful, engaging, and high-quality customer service of our Books-by-Mail Delivery, Mobile Library Services, and Assisted Living services. Must have an excellent knowledge of the literacy needs and interests of the various age groups and populations that they encounter. Individuals in this position must have the ability to plan, conduct and evaluate programs for all ages, backgrounds, needs, and abilities including:
- Programs developed for seniors to meet the needs, interests, and abilities of the aging population. Must have knowledge of programs that have proven successful with this demographic, the ability to lead them at senior centers, and the ability to evaluate their success.
- Programs for children from birth to 5 that are designed around the practices of Every Child Ready to Read to build kindergarten readiness.
- Programs for school-aged children, tweens, and teens that utilize STEAM components, tech skills and interests, and for teens, workforce development.
- Technology workshops, and classes, which reflect the educational goals of Charleston County Public Library
- The majority of Bookmobile stops should include a program as part of the stop
Other duties include but are not limited to:
- Actively seeking opportunities to promote the Library with the goal of increasing public use of programs and resources, and enhancing the Library’s visibility as a vital community partners
- Educating and instructing patrons on databases and the library’s collection of Digital Collections.
- Conducting one-on-on as well as group instruction on basic Word, Excel, resume-building, tablet, phone, and e-reader skills
- Evaluating, interpreting, and analyzing day-to-day bookmobile operations to determine the success and impact of the stops
- Valid Class E License (to be obtained within 2 months of hire date)
- Time spent off of the Mobile Library will be spent researching and planning programs, visiting senior centers for book delivery and programs (as this will be a good opportunity to use the County van, bringing carts and services into the building rather than having seniors board the Bookmobile), dropping off flyers and library information at various locations throughout the community to inform about library services and promote programs and resources, and restocking our Deposit Collections throughout the community.
- Must have the ability to set up and breakdown equipment as it relates to pop-up libraries and programs using new bookmobile supplies.
- To meet the needs of our communities, bookmobile stops and outreaches will include evenings, Saturdays, and Sundays.
Under the general supervision of the Outreach Manager, the Mobile Library Generalist
- Drives and operates the bookmobile following a designated route, providing a variety of services to Library patrons.
- Manages daily vehicle checklists and ensuring the Mobile Library is fueled and ready for routes.
- Ensures appropriate materials are shelved for the audience of the day’s route
- Assists Mobile Library customers with questions and information requests
- Checks out materials and issues library cards
- Reports to the Manager of Bookmobile Services
- Stops are focused on children, seniors and remote areas of the County where patrons are unable to reach physical libraries.
- Maintains the Mobile Library collection, which requires loading and unloading bins of materials which may weigh up to 50 lbs.
- Provides informational and reference assistance to patrons; provides library resources in all formats and utilizes reference materials to assist all community outreach patrons; instructs patrons in the use of library materials and information resources. Performs circulation functions.
Under the general supervision of the Outreach Manager, the Mobile Library Supervisor
- Monitors and evaluates the work and customer service of the staff members of the department, providing or assigning training as required
- Plans, schedules, and implements year-round outreach service to schools, preschools/daycares, senior sites, homebound patrons, and community stops.
- Solicits and responds to requests for outreach service from individuals and agencies in the community
- Assists in materials selection and acquisition, collection development, and
- Seeks information from users and potential users of information and library materials about their library needs and interests
- Tracks and monitors bookmobile usage and provides regular reports
- Reports any issues or changes to the Outreach Manager, or in the absence of the Outreach Manager, the Manager of Programming and Outreach
REQUIREMENTS: High School graduate or GED equivalent and two (2) years public library or related experience and supervisory experience. Must possess excellent customer service skills, the ability to get along well with others and to communicate effectively with the public and with library staff and a strong work ethic. Must use tact, courtesy and good judgement when communicating with co-workers and the public. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office suite with the ability to learn and use new methods, policies and technical advances. Must be able to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends. Must have the stamina for periods of walking, standing, reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling and sitting. Ability to shelve library materials as needed. Must be able to lift library materials including books, AV equipment, program materials and maneuver loaded book carts weighing approximately fifty (50) to one hundred (100) pounds. Prior library experience helpful but not necessary. Bilingual – English/Spanish a plus.
Hiring Salary Range: $27,684.80 – $31,200.00 annually depending on qualifications.
Closing date: Open until position is filled.
For internal purposes only – Library Generalist 3