Book Clubs for Adults
Hello, book club fans! While the coronavirus has forced us to close our branches and suspend our in-person club meetings, but we've been working behind the scenes to create a virtual book club experience.
So we're moving to Discord! We set up a server and several channels for many of our book clubs, and even set up a schedule.
Now all we need is you!
If you're new to the Discord platform, check out the how-to put together by staff to help you get on our server and join our discussions. Below, you'll find the club and book schedules.
How to Join a CCPL Zoom Book Discussion
We may not be able to get together at the library but we can still have great conversations! Join one of our Zoom book discussions by clicking on the Registration link in the third column and signing up. You'll get an email from the CCPL staff member moderating the discussion shortly before the group starts providing the login and password to join the Zoom room.
How to Join the CCPL Discord Server
Discord is an application used for chatting on your computer or smartphone. Chats can be done through typing on your keyboard or smartphone or through the audio features of your computer or smartphone.
If you wish to participate in the CCPL online book clubs via Discord, you will need to create a free Discord account if you do not already have one. If you'd like to have a PDF of instructions with images to verify you're on the right path, we have that here. Here's how to join us:
- To do this, please go to https://discordapp.com/register
- To create an account, please type the email address you would like your Discord profile to be associated with. This should be an email account that you have access to in case you forget your Discord login information at a later time.
- Under “Username” please select a name you are comfortable with other Discord users seeing. You can change this username at a later time but it is easier to come up with a name you are comfortable with and can remember easily.
- Under “Password” please select a password that you can remember easily but is not associated with other online or other important accounts you have.
- Once you are comfortable with your username and password, left click/select the blue “Continue” button.
- You may see a screen asking to verify that you “are not a robot.”
- Left click on the box to the left of “I’m not a robot”
- You may see one of these where it asks you to select all the pictures that have an image of something in them. The pictures and what they ask you to find will vary. Once you select all the pictures, left click/select the blue “VERIFY” button on the bottom right.
- Once this is done correctly, you Discord account will be successfully created.
- The welcome screen will ask you if you’d like to “Create Your Server.” Please select “Skip”
- To join the CCPL Book Talk Server, please select the button with the + sign in the upper left.
- Left click/select the green “Join a server” button on the right.
- You can find the code/link to the CCPL Book Talk Server at https://discord.gg/ydGFvBg. Enter the link/code and left click/select the green “Join” button and you should now be a part of the CCPL Book Talk Server.
- You should see the CCPL logo and “CCPL Book Talk” in the top left of your screen. Welcome to CCPL's Discord Server!
|Date and Time||Title||Platform|
|Read For Change: Using Literacy to Fight Racism|
|Thursda, Oct. 7 at 5:30 p.m.||You'll Never Believe What Happened to Lacey by Amber Ruffin and Lacey Lamar||IN PERSON - Wando Mount Pleasant|
|Tails and Tales Adult Summer Reading Book Club|
|Wednesday, August 18 at 12 p.m.||"Perestroika in Paris" by Jane Smiley||Zoom REGISTER|
|Small Bites Virtual Book Club for Short Classics|
|Saturday, August 21 at 10:30 a.m.||The Call of the Wild by Jack London||Zoom REGISTER|
|Virtual Short Fiction Discussion|
|Wednesday, August 11 at 6:30 p.m.||“Howl Palace” by Leigh Newman and “The Nine-Tailed Fox Explains” by Jane Pek||Zoom REGISTER|
|Wednesday, September 8 at 6:30 p.m.||“The Hands of Dirty Children” by Alejandro Puyana and “Octopus VII” by Anna Reeser||Zoom REGISTER|
|Wednesday, October 13 at 6:30 p.m.||“Enlightenment” by William Pei Shih and “Kennedy” by Kevin Wilson||Zoom REGISTER|
|Wednesday, November 10 at 6:30 p.m.||“The Special World” by Tiphanie Yanique and a selection from The New Yorker||Zoom REGISTER|
|Wednesday, December 8 at 6:30 p.m.||Selections from The New Yorker||Zoom REGISTER|
|Adult Book Discussion|
|Literary Gibbes Discussion|
|Friday, Aug. 20 at 1 p.m.||Japonisme in Charleston: Alice Smith and Her Circle and Light Effects||REGISTER HERE|
|Friday, Oct. 22 at 1 p.m.||Details coming soon!|
|Not Fiction Book Discussion|
|Tuesday, August 3 at 6:30 p.m.||The Human Cosmos: Civilization and the Stars by Jo Marchant||Zoom REGISTER|
|Tuesday, September 7 at 6:30 p.m.||Fathoms: The World in the Whale by Rebecca Giggs||Zoom REGISTER|
|Tuesday, October 5 at 6:30 p.m.||World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks, and Other Astonishments by Aimee Nezhukumatathil and Fumi Nakamura||Zoom REGISTER|
|Tuesday, November 2 at 6:30 p.m.||Late Migrations: A Natural History of Love and Loss by Margaret Renkl||Zoom REGISTER|
|Tuesday, December 7 at 6:30 p.m.||Desert Notebooks: A Road Map for the End of Time by Ben Ehrenreich||Zoom REGISTER|
|Sea Islands Book Club|
|Tuesday, Sept. 21 at 2 p.m.||The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal and the Real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss||IN PERSON! - John's Island Library|
|Tuesday, Oct. 19 at 2 p.m.||Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff||IN PERSON! - John's Island Library|
|Tuesday, Nov. 16 at 2 p.m.||A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende||IN PERSON! - John's Island Library|