- Summer Reading 2020
- Connect to CCPL
- Use Your Library
- How Do I?
- About CCPL
Book Clubs for Adults
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
Hello, book club fans! While the coronavirus has forced us to close our branches and suspend our in-person club meetings, but we've been working behind the scenes to create a virtual book club experience.
So we're moving to Discord! We set up a server and several channels for many of our book clubs, and even set up a schedule.
Now all we need is you!
If you're new to the Discord platform, check out the how-to put together by staff to help you get on our server and join our discussions. Below, you'll find the club and book schedules.
How to Join the CCPL Discord Server
Discord is an application used for chatting on your computer or smartphone. Chats can be done through typing on your keyboard or smartphone or through the audio features of your computer or smartphone.
If you wish to participate in the CCPL online book clubs via Discord, you will need to create a free Discord account if you do not already have one. If you'd like to have a PDF of instructions with images to verify you're on the right path, we have that here. Here's how to join us:
- To do this, please go to https://discordapp.com/register
- To create an account, please type the email address you would like your Discord profile to be associated with. This should be an email account that you have access to in case you forget your Discord login information at a later time.
- Under “Username” please select a name you are comfortable with other Discord users seeing. You can change this username at a later time but it is easier to come up with a name you are comfortable with and can remember easily.
- Under “Password” please select a password that you can remember easily but is not associated with other online or other important accounts you have.
- Once you are comfortable with your username and password, left click/select the blue “Continue” button.
- You may see a screen asking to verify that you “are not a robot.”
- Left click on the box to the left of “I’m not a robot”
- You may see one of these where it asks you to select all the pictures that have an image of something in them. The pictures and what they ask you to find will vary. Once you select all the pictures, left click/select the blue “VERIFY” button on the bottom right.
- Once this is done correctly, you Discord account will be successfully created.
- The welcome screen will ask you if you’d like to “Create Your Server.” Please select “Skip”
- To join the CCPL Book Talk Server, please select the button with the + sign in the upper left.
- Left click/select the green “Join a server” button on the right.
- You can find the code/link to the CCPL Book Talk Server at https://discord.gg/ydGFvBg. Enter the link/code and left click/select the green “Join” button and you should now be a part of the CCPL Book Talk Server.
- You should see the CCPL logo and “CCPL Book Talk” in the top left of your screen. Welcome to CCPL's Discord Server!
|Date and Time||Title|
|Literary Gibbes Discussion|
|Friday, July 10 at 1 p.m.||Hold Still: A Memoir with Photographs by Sally Mann|
|Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Club|
|Thursday, June 24 at 12 p.m.||Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James|
|Not Fiction Book Discussion|
|Tuesday, July 7 at 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday, August 4 at 6:30 p.m.
|Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland by Patrick Radden Keefe
What You Have Heard Is True: A Memoir of Witness and Forgiveness by Carolyn Forché
|Adult Anime Club|
|Saturday, May 9 at 3:30 p.m.||Viewer's Choice!|
|More Than Chronic|
|TBD||Bring your lunch and join a positive, monthly community with other adults and teens, 16 and up, who are living with chronic conditions. Adults and older teens without chronic conditions are welcome to attend and learn.|
|Great Books Discussion|
|Wednesday, May 13 at 6:30 p.m.||“Protozoa” by Ella Martinsen Gorham
“Seeing Ershadi” by Nicole Krauss
|Reading Through History Book Club|
|Thursday, May 28 at 11 a.m.||All the Gallant Men: An American Sailor's Firsthand Account of Pearl Harbor by Donald Stratton with Ken Gire|
|Teens Read Anything Book Club|
|Thursdays at 2 p.m.||Read Anything! Join us each week to discuss what you're reading!|
|Sea Islands Book Discussion|
|Tuesday, May 19 at 2 p.m.||An American Marriage by Tayari Jones|
|Great Decisions Foreign Policy Discussion|
|Wednesday, June 3 at 3 p.m.||India and Pakistan|
|LGBTQIAP+ Book Club|
|Mondays, June 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29 at 3 p.m.||Our welcoming and diverse group will meet every Monday in June in celebration of Pride Month, where we will be discussing highlights in LGBTQ+ fiction in a safe and inclusive space. Please come and share some of your favorite LGBTQ+ titles with us! All ages are welcome to participate.|
|Thursday, June 11 at 3 p.m.||Join our discord channel and discuss fan theories and head-canons of your favorite books, TV series, and movies.|
|Dorchester Anime and Manga Club|
|Thursday, June 18 at 3 p.m.
Thursday, June 25 at 3 p.m.
|Anime and manga fans unite in Discord and talk all things anime, manga, & Japan. Get a chance to discover and watch new anime or catch up to your favorite series.|