Library Card Application
Library cards are free to the following individuals:
- Charleston County residents
- Charleston County business owners
- Charleston County property owners
- Students in colleges or universities in Charleston County*
- Active duty members of the military stationed in Charleston County
- Teachers and students of accredited K-12 grade schools in Charleston County*
- Employees of Charleston County Government
*Students in colleges and universities or accredited K-12 grade schools must physically attend classes at the learning institution located in Charleston County. Students at all-virtual schools or who only attend virtual classes do not qualify.
You must present a valid photo ID and proof of address (if not listed on your ID) and, if applicable, proof of membership in the qualifying groups (if not a Charleston County resident).
NEW FOR 2023 - only residents of Berkeley, Colleton, Dorchester and Georgetown counties qualify and can apply for an Out-of-County library card in person at one of our branches. Also, the annual fee for an Out of County card is now $80. You must present a valid photo ID and proof of address (if not listed on your ID)
All library policies are on the Charleston County Public Library website at ccpl.org. You may also request copies of those policies at a library branch.
If your library card is lost or stolen, please call your local library as soon as possible to stop unauthorized use of your card. You will need to come into the library with a valid photo ID to replace your lost library card.
If you belong to one of the above groups qualifying for a free card, save time and apply online! Here are the easy steps:
- Complete the online library card application below, and click the I agree statement at the end of the form to submit it online. Items marked with an asterisk are required to process your new library card. A parent or legal guardian should complete the form for children 11 and under.
- Wait for an email from your preferred library branch that your card is ready to pick-up. Please allow two business days for processing of your application.
- Take a valid picture ID, proof of address (if not on your ID) and proof of membership in any of the above qualifying groups (if not a Charleston County resident) to the preferred library branch within 30 days.
- Show your documents to library staff and get your new CCPL library card. You’re now ready to enjoy all the benefits of library membership!