History

In 1937, a bookmobile outfitted as a tiny library visited on alternate Thursdays during the summer season (soon increased to once a week). The Charleston County main library joined with “Miss Lottie” in 1938 to open a Folly branch. 

In September 1941, the Charleston Coca-Cola Bottling Company gave the City a Center Street lot and building for $5. The transfer agreement, which hangs in the Mayor’s office, restricted it to “the use and benefit of the residents of, and visitors to, Folly Beach … as a town hall, recreation center, or other public use.” Council meetings were held there, and the Civic Club put its little library there, with Miss Lottie as librarian.

In the 1960s the current Community Center was built with a dual-purpose design as a meeting space and branch library. (Source: The Sandspur)