The McClellanville Library is located in a village 50 miles north of Charleston. The McClellanville community had a library long before McClellanville became a village and long before the establishment of the Charleston County Public Library system.
The library began in 1886 when McClellanville was just a "summering place," and one of the summer visitors organized a library society with a group of women in the community. The library continued to operate until June 19, 1931 when it became part of the Charleston Free Library system (now the Charleston County Library system).
The library was housed in the school building for many years, and was later moved to the town building on Pinckney Street. The present building on Baker Street is 1,280 square feet.