The Village Library, originally called the Mt. Pleasant Library, opened June 19, 1931. It was first housed in a single room next to the post office. Funds for a new building on Whilden St. in downtown Mt. Pleasant were obtained through public contributions raised by the Mt. Pleasant Exchange Club in addition to funds from the Charleston County Legislative Delegation and the Town of Mt. Pleasant. The new building opened Aug. 2, 1948. Local organizations contributed gifts of funds for books, and the Mt. Pleasant Garden Club undertook the beautification and maintenance of the grounds. The Town of Mt. Pleasant has contributed funds for books and building maintenance.