CCPL now offering Google Chromebooks for checkout
CHARLESTON, SC – Charleston County Public Library (CCPL) is lending out 90 Google Chromebooks at nine library branches throughout Charleston County in an effort to get patrons equitable access to technology. Earlier this month, 90 Kajeet mobile Wi-Fi hotspots were also made available for checkout.
The Chromebooks and Kajeet hotspots are part of an overall effort by CCPL to expand digital and technological access and provide technical support services.
Beginning Monday, Sept. 28, advanced holds can be placed on the Chromebooks online at ccpl.org or by calling one of the participating branches. The Chromebooks will be available for pickup beginning on Thursday, Oct. 1 from the following branches:
- Baxter-Patrick James Island – 1858 S. Grimball Rd., Charleston
- Cooper River Memorial – 3502 Rivers Ave., Charleston
- Dorchester Road – 6325 Dorchester Rd., North Charleston
- John L. Dart – 1067 King Street, Charleston
- Main - 68 Calhoun St, Charleston
- Mt. Pleasant Regional – 1133 Mathis Ferry Rd., Mt. Pleasant
- St. Paul’s/Hollywood – 5130 Hwy 165, Hollywood
- Wando Mount Pleasant – 1400 Carolina Park Blvd., Mt. Pleasant
- West Ashley – 45 Windermere Blvd., Charleston
“Many members of our community lack access to broadband Internet or devices, putting them at a disadvantage. Libraries are built upon accessibility, so it is our job to narrow the gap in the digital divide that exists in our community” said CCPL Executive Director Angela Craig.
All Chromebooks may be checked out by adult library cardholders for a period of four weeks (28 days) and are not renewable. To check out a Chromebook, adult patrons must have a CCPL library card and sign a Borrower Agreement form at a CCPL branch when checking out the device.