- Summer Reading 2020
- Connect to CCPL
- Use Your Library
- How Do I?
- About CCPL
How you can use CCPL's resources to change jobs
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
CHARLESTON, S.C. - Are you tired of being comfortably uncomfortable in your current job? If you consistently feel unfulfilled or bored with your career and need a change, this post is for you.
Deciding to change your profession is an important decision and may prove to be life altering. Don’t be afraid! It will be helpful for you to release the notion that your life and career must progress on a linear pathway.
Here are a few suggestions to help you get started on your career change journey:
- Build relationships with people who are already working in the career that you are interested in pursuing.
- Job shadow friends and family at their jobs if possible.
- Focus more on connecting with people vs. constantly scrolling through job postings on employment websites.
- Try not to trap yourself in “analysis paralysis”. Reading more books, taking even more profiling quizzes, and constantly trying to figure it out on your own may not move you closer to acting on your career change goal.
- Don’t be afraid of making a “wrong” choice. You may try multiple jobs until you find the best fit.
- Be willing to think outside of the box. Your current skill set can be used in many different job settings.
- Reach out to companies and ask for an informational interview. An informational interview is a meeting set up for the purpose of gathering specific information about a career or workplace. This is a wonderful way to connect and network with potential employers.
Nothing is more frustrating than lacking the skills and experience necessary to qualify for jobs outside of your current area of work. Never fear, CCPL is here to help! CCPL card holders have free access to online databases that offer career guidance, interactive learning tools, and support for your professional goals. All of CCPL’s databases are available to you with a library card.
Career Transitions Database
Career Transitions is a database that offers resources for job seekers. From interactive interview simulators to resume building, Career Transitions provides users with tools to be more confident in starting the career discovery process.
LearningExpress Library Database
LearningExpress Library offers a wealth of comprehensive tutorials, test preparation, and skill building resources.
Lynda.com is an online learning platform that provides users with business, software, technology, and creative skills. You must create a log-in profile to use Lynda.com.
With a little bit of practice and self-patience, you will be ready to take on the next steps in your future career. If you would like more information about changing careers during difficult circumstances, assistance in finding resources, tips on how to get the job-hunting process started or more, please reach out to us at CCPL by email, chat, or text. You may also call us at 843-805-6930, leave a voice message, and a library staff member will return your call. Remember, you are not alone.