Saul Alexander Gallery Application
Saul Alexander Gallery Application and Procedures
The Saul Alexander Foundation Gallery of the Charleston County Public Library provides space for juried art exhibitions, solo or group, at the Main Library, 68 Calhoun Street, Charleston, SC 29401. With the exhibition space serving as an avenue for the respectful exchange of artistic and conceptual ideas within a diverse constituency, these exhibitions should reflect the varied experiences and viewpoints of the people of South Carolina, and additional preference is given to applicants from South Carolina. The Charleston County Public Library Gallery Committee selects artists and craftsmen for inclusion in the exhibition schedule on the basis of the quality of their work and suitability for the space.
- Artists must submit an online application with a current resume, artist’s statement and 8 to 12 examples of their work in electronic format to be reviewed by the Charleston County Public Library Gallery Jury. We recommend visiting the space prior to submission to determine the suitability of the space for your work. At least 5 of the pieces submitted must be intended for the exhibit, while the rest can be representative examples of the applicant’s work; however, images or copies of all completed work intended for display must be submitted for review one month prior to installation. Each piece must be appropriately labeled with the artist's name, the title, medium, and size.
- Artists under 18-years-old must have their parent/guardian sign the application. The parent/guardian will be the responsible party.
- The work should not have been previously exhibited at the library. Preference will be given to newly created works.
- The jury selects submissions for exhibition annually or biannually depending on the number of submissions.
- The executive director of the library has final approval for all exhibits.
Gallery Exhibit Standards:
- Works on paper and photographs should be protected with glass or acrylic glazing. Acetate or shrink-wrapped works are not acceptable.
- Alternative framing (with artwork sandwiched between glazing and backing) held together by plastic or metal brackets is acceptable if a secure hanger is provided.
- For mediums not requiring glazing, such as paintings on canvas or fiber art, a sturdy framework with hanging wire is required.
- The gallery utilizes a cable suspension system. A secure hanging wire or bracket attached to the picture is required.
- Securing works to the cables using zip ties (provided upon request) is strongly recommended.
- Artists will be required to hang their own works. Special hanging arrangements will be made for library sponsored exhibitions. All hangings are subject to the approval of the gallery committee.
- Case displays will be subject to the approval of the gallery committee. If the media cannot hang, the artist must make his/her own arrangements for secure display.
- Dimensions of the Saul Alexander Gallery are as follows: When entering the gallery, the left wall is 17'8", the rear wall is 14'6" and the right wall is 19'2". The room height is slightly more than 8'. The door to the gallery is 83” high by 70” wide.
- A committee or staff member will approve the installation of exhibits in advance and after completion.
- Artists are responsible for providing labels for their work. Artwork, labels, or business cards must be on heavy stock and must not be glued or nailed to the wall. Pushpins are permitted.
- At the time of installation, the artist must submit a list containing titles and descriptions as well as prices. If the art is for sale, the list will be available to the public at the information desk. The artist may have business cards at the exhibit. Prices may not be displayed or available within the gallery, but the artist may supply a small sign directing the public to the information desk for prices. Sales are strictly between the artist and customer; the library will not act as intermediary for the exchange and will not accept any money on the artist’s behalf.
- Works that are sold must remain in the gallery until the end of the exhibition, except under special circumstances.
- The library will not be responsible for artwork not picked up at the agreed upon time.
- The library will include information about the exhibits on our website and monthly calendar. The artist may send out their own publicity at their own expense.
- It is agreed that the Charleston County Public Library will not be responsible in any manner to the exhibitor or the owner for the items or fixture pertaining thereto, in the exhibition in case of theft, destruction or injury thereto from any cause.
- It is agreed also that the exhibitor or owner or both named hereto, is responsible for timely delivery, hanging and pickup of their work.
- It is agreed that the number of items, including frames and mountings, which may be exhibited in a given space and the arrangements thereof, will conform to all requirements as may be prescribed by the gallery committee and/or library staff.
- It is agreed that the exhibitor is responsible for transporting the art works to the library, for planning the display, arrangement or hanging of the exhibit, and for providing necessary materials and tools.
- It is agreed that online submissions will be shared electronically with selected Saul Alexander Gallery Committee members along with a survey to rank submissions and offer their comments regarding suitability for the exhibit space. Committee members, who are asked to serve as gallery jurors, are volunteer positions held by professionals in the local art community serving a 1 to 3 year term as the gallery’s selection committee. The committee is asked to remotely review and select works for display in the Saul Alexander Gallery once or twice annually (fall and spring), depending on the number of submissions received. Final approval for exhibits will be at the discretion of the library director.
- It is agreed that the library may use images submitted for selected exhibitions on our website and social media platforms to advertise the gallery and/or exhibit.
I (We) wish to submit artistic works for display in the exhibition described below located at the Saul Alexander Gallery in the Main Library of CCPL. In making and signing this document, I (We) agree to observe and comply with all condition, requirements, and obligations contained in the Gallery Procedures and Standards outlined above.