- Connect to CCPL
- Use Your Library
- How Do I?
- About CCPL
John L. Dart Library
Phone: (843) 722-7550
2 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Phone: (843) 805-6930
Cooper River Memorial Library
Phone: (843) 744-2489
West Ashley Library
Phone: (843) 766-6635
Phone: (843) 884-9741
St. Paul's/Hollywood Library
Phone: (843) 889-3300
Otranto Road Regional Library
Phone: (843) 572-4094
Mt. Pleasant Regional Library
Phone: (843) 849-6161
Phone: (843) 887-3699
John's Island Regional Library
Phone: (843) 559-1945
Hurd/St. Andrews Regional Library
Phone: (843) 766-2546
Folly Beach Library
Phone: (843) 588-2001
Phone: (843) 869-2355
Edgar Allan Poe/Sullivan's Island Library
Phone: (843) 883-3914
Dorchester Road Regional Library
Phone: (843) 552-6466
Saul Alexander Gallery Application
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
Saul Alexander Gallery Application and Procedures
The Saul Alexander Foundation Gallery of the Charleston County Public Library provides space for juried art exhibitions, solo or group, at the Main Library, 68 Calhoun Street, Charleston, SC 29401. With the exhibition space serving as an avenue for the respectful exchange of artistic and conceptual ideas within a diverse constituency, these exhibitions should reflect the varied experiences and viewpoints of the people of South Carolina, and additional preference is given to applicants from South Carolina. The Charleston County Public Library Gallery Committee selects artists and craftsmen for inclusion in the exhibition schedule on the basis of the quality of their work and suitability for the space.
Gallery Exhibit Standards:
- Works on paper and photographs should be protected with glass or acrylic glazing. Acetate or shrink-wrapped works are not acceptable.
- Alternative framing (with artwork sandwiched between glazing and backing) held together by plastic or metal brackets is acceptable if a secure hanger is provided.
- For mediums not requiring glazing, such as paintings on canvas or fiber art, a sturdy framework with hanging wire is required.
- The gallery utilizes a cable suspension system. A secure hanging wire or bracket attached to the picture is required.
- Securing works to the cables using zip ties (provided upon request) is strongly recommended.
- Artists will be required to hang their own works. Special hanging arrangements will be made for library sponsored exhibitions. All hangings are subject to the approval of the gallery committee.
- Case displays will be subject to the approval of the gallery committee. If media cannot hang, the artist must make his/her own arrangements for secure display.
- Dimensions of the Saul Alexander Gallery are as follows: When entering the gallery, the left wall is 17'8", the rear wall is 14'6" and the right wall is 19'2". The room height is slightly more than 8'. The door to the gallery is 83” high by 70” wide.
- A committee or staff member will approve the installation of exhibits in advance and after completion.
- Artists are responsible for providing labels for their work. Artwork, labels or business cards must be on heavy stock and must not be glued or nailed to the wall. Pushpins are permitted.
- The artist must submit a list containing titles and descriptions as well as prices. If the art is for sale, the list will be available to the public at the information desk. The artist may have business cards at the exhibit. Prices may not be displayed or available within the gallery, but the artist may supply a small sign directing the public to the information desk for prices. Sales are strictly between the artist and customer; the library will not as intermediary for the exchange, and will not accept any money on the artist’s behalf.
- Works that are sold must remain in the gallery until the end of the exhibition, except under special circumstances.
- The library will not be responsible for artwork not picked up at the agreed upon time.
- The library will generate a gallery brochure featuring the year’s exhibits. The library will include information about the exhibits in monthly press releases, and an announcement of the exhibition will be included in the library’s monthly calendar. The artist may send out their own publicity at their own expense.
- It is agreed that the Charleston County Public Library will not be responsible in any manner to the exhibitor or the owner for the items or fixture pertaining thereto, in the exhibition in case of theft, destruction or injury thereto from any cause.
- It is agreed also that the exhibitor or owner or both named hereto, are responsible for timely delivery, hanging and pickup of their work.
- It is agreed that the number of items, including frames and mountings, which may be exhibited in a given space and the arrangements thereof, will conform to all requirements as may be prescribed by the gallery committee and/or library staff.
- It is agreed that the exhibitor is responsible for transporting the art works to the library, for planning the display, arrangement or hanging of the exhibit, and for providing necessary materials and tools.
- It is agreed that the exhibitor will participate in a First Monday Gallery Night reception that corresponds with the first Monday of their exhibition month.
I (We) wish to submit artistic works for display in the exhibition described below located at the Saul Alexander Gallery in the Main Library of CCPL. In making and signing this document, I (We) agree to observe and comply with all condition, requirements, and obligations contained in the Gallery Procedures and Standards outlined above.