- Connect to CCPL
- Use Your Library
- Virtual Events
- How Do I?
- About CCPL
Mt. Pleasant Regional Library
Phone: (843) 849-6161
2 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Phone: (843) 805-6930
Bees Ferry West Ashley Library
Phone: (843) 805-6892
St. Paul's/Hollywood Library
Phone: (843) 889-3300
West Ashley Library
Phone: (843) 766-6635
John L. Dart Library
Phone: (843) 722-7550
Cooper River Memorial Library
Phone: (843) 744-2489
Dorchester Road Regional Library
Phone: (843) 552-6466
Baxter-Patrick James Island
Phone: (843) 795-6679
Phone: (843) 887-3699
Phone: (843) 884-9741
Folly Beach Library
Phone: (843) 588-2001
Phone: (843) 869-2355
Edgar Allan Poe/Sullivan's Island Library
Phone: (843) 883-3914
CCPL partnership provides free tax assistance in 2021
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
CHARLESTON, S.C. - As in years past, area residents can receive free help with their taxes at several Charleston County Public Library branches through a project coordinated with S.C. Thrive, VITA, and AARP.
However, during the COVID-19 pandemic, the process for receiving assistance at our libraries has changed in 2021. For those who want to utilize tax assistance service from SC Thrive, all appointments at the participating libraries must be scheduled by phone in advance. VITA is providing first come, first served drop-off service this year. Patrons who would like to use the VITA service will drop off their tax materials to a VITA representative at a participating library and pick them back up about a week later. For people using AARP's service, two library locations will provide drop-off service by appointment, and a third location will offer first come, first serve service.
For South Carolina or federal tax information, contact the South Carolina Department of Revenue or the Internal Revenue Service.
South Carolina Tax Information
On the Web: South Carolina Department of Revenue
Toll Free: 1-800-768-3676
Federal Tax Information
On the Web: Internal Revenue Service
Toll Free: 1-800-829-3676
Free brand-name tax preparation software is available for individuals and families with an income of $62,000 or less. Free online fillable forms are available for all income-levels. Check the IRS site for details.
To receive assistance, the following materials need to be brought to the branches during your appointment:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
Appointment must be scheduled by phone: 800-726-8774
SC Thrive will provide assistance at the following locations at the listed dates:
- Dorchester - Mondays, Feb. 15 - May 17
- Dart - Tuesdays, Feb. 16 - May 11
- Baxter Patrick James Island - Wednesdays, Feb. 17 - May 12
- Bees Ferry West Ashley - Thursdays, Feb. 18, March 4 and 18, April 1, 15, 22, and 29
- West Ashley - Thursdays, Feb. 25, March 11 and 25, April 8 and 22, and May 6
- Cooper River Memorial - Fridays, Feb. 12 and 26, March 12 and 26, and April 9
- St. Paul’s Hollywood - Fridays, Feb. 9, March 5 and 19, April 2, 16, and 30, and May 14
- Wando Mount Pleasant - Saturdays, Feb. 13 - May 15
No appointments. All patrons will be helped on a first come, first served basis. Your tax documents will be collected by a VITA representative and returned completed at a later date. VITA estimates it will take about a week for the process.
VITA will provide that assistance at the following locations at the listed dates:
- Main - Tuesdays and Thursdays, Feb. 9 - May 6 (Assistance will be given to the first 18 patrons only.)
- Cooper River Memorial - Saturdays, Feb. 6 - March 27
- Mt. Pleasant - Saturdays, Feb. 6 - May 8
Appointments will be set by phone for two locations, and one branch will operate on a first come, first served basis. In each case, tax documents will be collected and scanned by AARP representatives.
AARP will provide assistance at the following locations at the listed dates:
- Wando Mount Pleasant - Mondays and Fridays, Feb. 1 - April 16
- No appointments. Sign in on the waitlist upon arrival.
- Main - Mondays, Feb. 22 - April 12
- Appointments by phone: 843-259-2891. Tax documents will be returned in about a week.
- Bees Ferry West Ashley - Fridays Feb. 12 - April 23
- Appointments by phone: 843-633-1630. Tax documents will be returned in about a week.
Palmetto Community Action Partnership
If you are unable to attend during the times listed above, Palmetto Community Action Partnership is offering FREE tax prep this year to residents who meet federal income requirements. You are can sign up for an appointment online or by calling 1-844-769-6448.